Find out the state of pay equity today and what your company can do to support equal pay for all.
When hiring healthcare workers, employers must be aware of medical sanctions or healthcare sanctions against individuals. These penalties on healthcare practitioners for violations such as fraud, misconduct, abuse or felony convictions can be discovered by adding GoodHire’s Healthcare Sanctions Search to any background check. Learn more.
Now you can check healthcare workers’ professional track record, search for any criminal history, and verify education, previous employers, and professional licenses – all in one place.
What Are Healthcare Sanctions?
Healthcare sanctions, sometimes called “medical sanctions,” are penalties levied on nurses, doctors, or other healthcare practitioners for violations such as:
- Fraudulent Medicare or Medicaid claims or other healthcare fraud
- Patient neglect or other forms of abuse or medical misconduct
- Convictions for theft, financial fraud, or illegal distribution of controlled substances
- Non-medical felony convictions
Who Should Run Healthcare Sanctions Searches?
The simple answer is that any organization that hires healthcare workers can benefit from running a sanctions search.
GoodHire searches more than 1,000 government sources looking for penalties, suspensions, or disciplinary or punitive actions in healthcare worker’s history. So Healthcare Sanctions Searches can help you make informed hiring decisions that protect patients, employees, and your organization’s reputation.
If your organization receives or hopes to receive federal funding, you must check for sanctions. That’s because the US Department of Health & Human Services Office of Inspector General (OIG) guidance prevents healthcare organizations from hiring people who’ve been sanctioned or otherwise “excluded” from federal programs.
OIG penalties for employing someone who has been sanction run up to $10,000 per day worked per ineligible employee.
How It Works
GoodHire offers several search options, which are available as add-ons to any background check you order. These include:
- OIG Sanctions Search, which runs candidates’ name against the OIG List Of Excluded Individuals/Entities (LEIE) to check whether they’ve ever been excluded from participating in federal healthcare programs.
- Healthcare Sanctions Level 1, which searches multiple federal sources (see coverage details) for exclusions and meets the OIG’s minimum requirements for participation in federal programs.
- Healthcare Sanctions Level 2, which adds a search of state-level Medicaid exclusion lists to the federal sources searched for Level 1 (see coverage details).
- Healthcare Sanctions Level 3, which checks state-level Board Disciplinary Actions sources and Abuse Registries in addition to all the Level 1 and Level 2 sources (See coverage).
- Professional License Verification, which verifies the current status (including issue and expiration dates) of healthcare professionals’ license to practice.
Once you’ve selected a background check (Basic, Standard, or Premium), choose the Healthcare Sanctions Search that best suits your organization’s needs from the list of add-ons.
After you’ve ordered the background check and Healthcare Sanctions Search, all that’s left is to enter the candidate’s or employee’s information. GoodHire takes care of everything else for you and alerts you by email when the results are ready.
Learn more about GoodHire’s Healthcare Sanctions search options.
The resources provided here are for educational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. We advise you to consult your own counsel if you have legal questions related to your specific practices and compliance with applicable laws.