Laws & Regulations
Employment Background Check Compliance Is Harder Than Ever
Increasing EEOC Oversight
The EEOC has increased discrimination claims against employers whose screening policies disproportionately affect a protected group.
Hiring policies that disproportionately screen out minorities, including people with criminal records, may automatically be considered in violation.
Ultimate Guide To
New Ban-The-Box Laws
The ban-the-box legal landscape is quickly expanding and often contains provisions that differ from established FCRA procedures and may even turn EEOC guidance into law.
What do you do when FCRA, EEOC, and ban-the-box laws conflict? Download this simple decision tree to determine which laws you have to follow to stay compliant.
Guide To Resolving
Class-Action Lawsuits & Enforcement Actions
With recent FCRA compliance decisions pointing in confusingly different directions, don’t bank on leniency from the courts.
Learn from other companies’ background check mistakes—recent class-action lawsuits provide valuable employment screening compliance lessons you can start using today.
& Best Practices
Peace of Mind
GoodHire’s Compliance Advantage
We’ve integrated adverse action at the federal, state and local level with easy-to-understand, automated workflows to create the only true end-to-end solution.
- Dead-simple adverse action means we’ve automated everything we can to help you make the best hiring decisions.
- Transparent, candidate-centric workflows avoid unexplained delays, increase speed and accuracy, and create deeper relationships with candidates.
- Built-in compliance meets federal, state and local laws, even when they conflict, so you don’t have to be a compliance expert.
- Fair hiring protection as adverse action rules and processes are applied consistently and fairly for every candidate.
Individualized Assessment With Comments For Context
- Federal and state laws discourage employers from screening out applicants based on a criminal record alone.
- Background check results offer limited details, making it hard to create the individualized assessment needed for Adverse Action.
- GoodHire Comments for Context stay with a candidate’s GoodHire results forever, so any employer who uses GoodHire will see them.
- One way to avoid discrimination is to consider the relevance of the record to the job, along with other factors.
- GoodHire Comments for Context lets candidates add relevant details that help you make fair, individualized hiring decisions.
- GoodHire provides guidelines to keep the information fact-based and insights-focused.
Need to Know
The grassroots ban-the-box campaign aims to improve the odds of finding employment for people with criminal records by removing the question that asks about criminal convictions from employment applications.
Ban-the-box laws typically don’t forbid employers from inquiring about an applicant’s criminal history or from running background checks. However, they can affect the timing of background checks and can make complying with the FCRA-mandated adverse action process trickier.
Background Checks & Compliance: What Employers Need To Know
You know background checks are important, but there are so many searches to choose from, and so many laws and guidelines to follow! Where do you start? This guide is designed to help you understand the many different types of employment background checks, and when, why, and how to use them legally.